Speech to Text Support in OLPC

Assim Deodia assim.deodia at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 16:10:23 EDT 2008

Hi Satya,
It great to see that you are interested in the development of TTS for OLPC.

We already have integrated TTS engine "espeak" shipped with XO which support
many languages including Hindi. It is pretty small and highly resource
efficient. check this out: http://espeak.sourceforge.net/

As a part of this Google summer of Code, Hemant has worked on integration of
speech synthesis in XO(http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Hemant_goyal). Uptill
now we have a ready to use speech-server (speech-dispatcher) for XO and
activities are being developed using that server.

For the test drive:

1: Install the speech-dispatcher (
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Hemant_goyal#RPM_Packaging_update_3) (Hemant
can point you to latest rpm for OLPC) and then install my activity

2: Download my activity from
http://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code-2008-olpc/downloads/detail?name=Assim_Deodia.tar.gzand
untar it.

3: Install the .xo package using sugar-bundle-install listen-spell.xo and
then run the activity.

If you wish to extend the work done till now, Hemant can help you out with
this.

--
Regards
Assim Deodia