Speech to Text Support in OLPC

satya komaragiri satya.komaragiri at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 13:34:14 EDT 2008

Hello

I am interested in working on developing on the Indian prospects of OLPC.

I understand there's some work going on in tts in OLPC. While going
through the end user application software page [1], I came across this
idea
"Since space and power is a concern, a speech to text engine would
need to be small and not require a powerful CPU. By sacrificing
quality a very small engine should be possible."

I was interested in bringing speech to text ability in OLPC using one
of the existing tools.

As CMUSphinx [2] is Java based ( from what I can gather, Java is not
shipped by default and there is some considerable effort involved in
getting it to run [3] ) , I was wondering if porting of julius [4]
(written in C) on XO would be a good idea. Julius is currently
developed well for Japanese and their homepage [5] claims that
VoxForge[6] is working on developing it for other languages.

Also, to make it more useful in the Indian context,  I would like to
work upon adding support for Hindi in it.

I'll be glad to have feedback/suggestions on this idea.

Thanks
Satya Komaragiri

[1] http://wiki.laptop.org/go/End-user_application_software
[2] http://cmusphinx.sourceforge.net/sphinx4/