Bundle activity

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net
Fri Sep 12 03:17:16 EDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 10:40 PM, Erik Garrison <erik at laptop.org> wrote:
> Firstly, insofar as the hierarchical filesystem is a worldwide standard
> for human-computer interface, it is something which is useful to teach
> students.  So it seems like a very useful activity.

AFAIK, kids have been able for a long time to learn about organizing
information hierarchically without access to hierarchical file
systems. But most of the ones who actually use such a system, even
when they grow up, end up using the files-in-folders system in a very
inefficient way (from personal, direct observation of people who are
not IT professionals).

> Secondly, from a utility perspective... Have you ever tried to move a
> file out of the Journal and onto a USB flash drive?  Then change the
> name...  Or maybe put such a file into a specific directory on the flash
> drive?

This is scheduled to be "fixed" on the next Sugar release.

> If we don't want the journal to behave this way then perhaps the best
> place to put the functionality is in another activity.  Bundle seems to
> have sensible overlap with this problem space.

May be something sensible to do while we really fix the underlying problem.

> When I was in Uruguay more teachers asked me about issues with the
> Journal than anything else.  I keep poking on this issue to remind
> people that it's not going away in the field.

Could you please tell us more about the issues reported?

Thank a lot,

Tomeu