recognizing a previous connection

Pia Waugh greebo at pipka.org
Wed Sep 10 17:45:13 EDT 2008

Hi all,

<quote who="rihoward1 at gmail.com">

> It is my understanding that deployments with larger schools will be  using
> WAPs and possibly some active antennas (currently a shortage of these).
> These large schools are more like the G1G1 situation as  the pupil moves
> from one area of the school to another they may  connect to another AP.  I
> have informed a person involved with deployment at large schools of  this
> thread (and the other thread). I am hoping they will respond  with
> information about the wireless topography.

Actually, you can overcome this in a large school by using a WDS network, or
by simply giving all the access points the same name, then as the student
moves around the campus they seamlessly switch from AP to AP, as it is
effectively the same wireless network.

I did this at two schools of ~200-250 students each with a WDS setup (as
they didn't have ethernet to the classrooms), and it worked perfectly. If
you have ethernet to the classrooms, then APs with the same ESSID would work
even better. Details here:

  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Niue#Documentation

Cheers,
Pia