recognizing a previous connection

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Wed Sep 10 09:25:57 EDT 2008

When there has been an "unconnected" period (e.g., while suspended),
the question has been discussed as to WHICH connection ought the
system be trying to re-establish.  I agree with those who would like
the 'most recent connection' to be tried first, unless the user has
explicitly indicated some other preference.

But my chief reason for posting this is to point out the difference
between an "education environment" for OLPC users, and a "G1G1
environment" for OLPC users.  The whole design of Network Manager
seems to be aimed at the former -- connect to the *same* school
server all the time;  if it is out of reach, connect to the *same*
set of buddies (e.g., via mesh).

As a G1G1 user, I tend to carry my XO with me.  So at 7am I might
use it at home;  at 10am at the office during a break;  at noon at a
lunch spot,  etc., etc.   Meaning that continually this XO needs to
be connected to a *different* AP.  [And I don't like to just erase
networks.cfg -- there might be values held there that I might not
want to re-type manually when I next need to use a particular AP.]

To me, the "G1G1 environment" is characterized by NOT using the same
connection each time.  Please don't make it cumbersome to switch APs

mikus