Expected date for 8.2.0

pgf at laptop.org pgf at laptop.org
Wed Sep 10 09:38:09 EDT 2008

eben wrote:
 > We removed that for two reasons.  First, as an indicator it was
 > actually really subtle; it didn't grab attention.  Second, it
 > effectively stripped the identity of the server itself, since each AP
 > is identified by a pair of colors.  Removing the stroke color made it
 > unclear which AP was which.
 >
 > We feel confident in removing this indicator thanks to the new design
 > for the Frame (which includes devices), since it's just as easy
 > (actually, less inconvenient) to reveal the Frame to see quickly and
 > unambiguously which, if any, AP is connected.

i don't see how requiring keyboard/mouse interaction is less
inconvenient than simply looking at the screen.  we already
distinguish various circles with little ornaments or bulls-eye
rings.  surely one more style wouldn't be terrible.  remember
that one usually already knows which AP is expected to be connected --
it's the one that was just clicked on, or which was clicked on
yesterday.  finding it on the screen isn't an issue.  (well, maybe
at 1cc it is, but not in the average setting.)  (also, having the network
icon in the frame is important when you're not on the network view,
and not when you are.)

paul
 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org