Expected date for 8.2.0

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 08:40:11 EDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 3:38 AM, Chris Ball <cjb at laptop.org> wrote:
> Hi Robert, thanks for the notes.
>
>   > Regarding WPA support remember you have existing G1G1 users out in
>   > the wild using WPA plus a new G1G1 is scheduled for November time
>   > frame. It is also possible that a deployment or two use WPA.
>
> We aren't going to ship without WPA support, but we also aren't working
> on improvements to the WPA support we already have.
>
>   > There are suspend related bugs in 8.2-759.  1.) There is a nasty
>   > suspend related networking bug that requires a hard boot to get
>   > working again.  Turn on power management, let the laptop suspend,
>   > (screen dims), and then close the lid.  Open the lid again and the
>   > wireless connectivity is dead.  Sometimes you have to repeat the
>   > lid closing several times to get the network stack dropped.  Seems
>   > to happen the quickest if you have been using the network for a
>   > shared activity such as chat for a while. ( Bug does not seem to
>   > happen if ohmd is logging).  Once this happens restarting sugar
>   > will not revive it.  I have had to reboot to get wireless working
>   > again.
>
> This is #8103, which is fixed in Joyride and will be fixed in 8.2-760
> when that's built.
>
>   > 2.) I noticed in build 757 after opening the lid the system would
>   > attempt to connect to the last network device it had been connected
>   > to.  With 759 it looks for a mesh first no matter that you had been
>   > connected to an AP last.
>
> It will try the previous AP again, but it'll first cycle through the
> mesh channels looking for a school server.  This was a request from
> deployment, to make sure that when a laptop arrives from home to school
> it finds the school server there.  The cycle time is unfortunately long:
> over a minute.  If it's enough of an inconvenience, we might consider
> some mechanism (perhaps a networks.cfg entry) for saying "I don't care
> about connecting to mesh networks automatically, always prefer APs."

I already have a design in mind for this, which came out of the "need
to reset the network config" nonsense. The intended design there is
not just a "clear" button which wipes the file, but an ordered list
which allows one to see the preferred networks, and reorder them in a
list in the order in which connection should be attempted.  At the
time I brought up this design, I also offered that we should add a
special item to the list representing the Mesh, so that it would be
possible to reorder the mesh connection attempts as well.  It would
likely be at the top by default, of course, but could be moved to the
bottom of the list.

- Eben