Google Chrome activity?

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Wed Sep 3 12:35:02 EDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 9:02 AM, Ton van Overbeek <tvoverbeek at gmail.com> wrote:
> Christoph Derndorfer wrote:
>> On 9/3/08, *david at lang.hm <mailto:david at lang.hm>* <david at lang.hm
>> <mailto:david at lang.hm>> wrote:
>>     On Wed, 3 Sep 2008, Christoph Derndorfer wrote:
>>         Anyone here motivated to turn Chrome into an activity?
> The open source project is on http://dev.chromium.org.
> There are instructions for a Linux build, but it has the following warning:
>
> Note: There is /no/ working Chromium-based browser on Linux. Although
> many Chromium submodules build under Linux and a few unit tests pass,
> all that runs is a command-line "all tests pass" executable.

That means it's ripe for a sugar-based UI!

I actually think the "popups included in parent window" model is a
better fit for the XO than any of the gecko-based browsers we've got
so far.  You can drag tabs and popups out into their own "window"
which would be the equivalent of creating a separate "activity
instance" in the frame for them.  The security model is very
compatible with bitfrost, as is their javascript VM.

I'm actually intrigued by the possibility of using the V8 javascript
VM to run python bytecodes; their VM seems much better suited to
executing python than many of the other VMs that have been targeted in
the past, and the caching and serialization mechanisms provided would
allow us to do the "rainbow pre-fork" stuff, but much better.  The
real question is whether it could be made to coexist with modules
written to the existing python native code interface, since pygtk Must
Work.
 --scott

--
 ( http://cscott.net/ )