Google Chrome activity?

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Wed Sep 3 11:17:31 EDT 2008

I would not presume that Google Chrome's memory usage is worse than
existing browsers (though thankfully firefox 3 has recently lowered the
bar a lot); it has the advantage of throwing away entire address spaces,
avoiding some of the memory fragmentation problems that have bedeviled
other browsers.

So I'm taking a wait and see attitude.....  But first, let someone else
do the basic Linux port, and then we can measure....
                         - Jim

On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 09:02 -0400, Ton van Overbeek wrote:
> Christoph Derndorfer wrote:
> > On 9/3/08, *david at lang.hm <mailto:david at lang.hm>* <david at lang.hm
> > <mailto:david at lang.hm>> wrote:
> >
> >     On Wed, 3 Sep 2008, Christoph Derndorfer wrote:
> >
> >         Anyone here motivated to turn Chrome into an activity?
> >

> >     don't we need to wait until they have a linux version out? my
> >     understanding is that the current release is windows only.
> >

> > Ah, I must have missed that than, thought it was multi-platform... :-(
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Christoph
>
> The open source project is on http://dev.chromium.org.
> There are instructions for a Linux build, but it has the following warning:
>
> Note: There is /no/ working Chromium-based browser on Linux. Although
> many Chromium submodules build under Linux and a few unit tests pass,
> all that runs is a command-line "all tests pass" executable.
>

> Anyway, since it really targets the high-end (each tab running its own
> process with own virtual machine for JS etc.)
> I doubt it will run nicely on the XO.
> The renderer is based on WebKit.
>
> Ton van Overbeek
Jim Gettys <jg at laptop.org>