Write Collaboration - what is known to work / what is, not? (J.M. Maurer)

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 08:17:18 EDT 2008

Hi Marc et al,

This is a timely discussion as we are trying to figure out and document
exactly what write collaboration will be supported for end users in 8.2.

The target use cases are:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Use_Cases#Write
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Use_Cases#Uruguay_Teacher_Example
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Use_Cases#Collaboration_Use_Cases_from_Peru

Basically, we want several students to open write and share the same
document. They should each be able to edit it and each should be able to
save an interim local copy at any time.

We want to know what is the scale allowed for that (e.g. 2, 4, XOs). We
can restrict the things they can do if we know and document that in advance.

Are you saying that the initiator of the write document must not close
it or the sharing will stop? If that's the case for this release we can
document that and user can probably work around it.

Can any participant save ("Keep") the document at any time?

Martin,

Go ahead and "burden" the bug database with these. We want to get this
right, eventually. Also, update the use cases if you think I missed
something there.

Sharing write could be our strongest collaboration activity and it has a
lot of interest from the field. Let's make sure we can say what will
work in this release then we can extend it to more areas in the next
release.

Thanks,

Greg S