9.1 Proposal: Activities as Building Blocks

C. Scott Ananian cscott at cscott.net
Tue Oct 28 19:39:47 EDT 2008

Walter's portfolio presentation should be very interesting.  I've
spent a bit of time in Peru talking with him about it.

Briefly, the journal is a mechanism for finding and organizing
content, as well as serving a pedagogic role in allowing review and
reflection.

But what's also needed is a means for *presenting* your work, often in
an order that *tells a story*, rather than being strictly chronologic.
 As the presentation is put together, the child should be encouraged
to reflect.  In standard Peruvian pedagogy, there are four questions
the student is asked to answer about their work:
  1. what did i do
  2. how did i do it
  3. why was it done (or why was this work selected)
  4. for what purpose is this work
Other teachers may have different questions they think should be
answered as a portfolio is assembled.

For my part, I like the idea of turning the journal into a "poor man's
powerpoint" as well as a "poor man's blog", but I'm not entirely
convinced the journal and portfolio should be merged.  For ease of
initial development, separate journal and portfolio activities is
probably the way to go.  But the portfolio actions definitely deserve
support.
  --scott

                         ( http://cscott.net/ )