9.1 Proposal: Power.

Nate Ridderman nate.ridderman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 19:44:26 EDT 2008

Do we have the ability to pulse width modulate the backlight LEDs? What is
the resolution on the PWM? It's hard to know if this is feasible without a
hardware schematic and specs on the backlight driver. The CL1 spec mentions
a PWM signal, but maybe it only has four bits of resolution?

In the cell phone world, PWM is used pretty regularly as an approach to dim
backlights. It's much cheaper than having a bunch of analog current sensing
circuitry. I believe 100 Hz or greater is required to reduce flickering, but
this might be higher on a larger screen. Sometimes using PWM on LEDs can
create spectral noise, especially if there is no soft start mechanism in the
LED driver, so the antenna desensitivity would probably need to be tested
against this approach.

Thanks,
Nate