9.1 Proposal: Control Facility Improvements

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Wed Oct 22 16:44:33 EDT 2008

Under the topic "Clarifying the zoom levels", Eben wrote:
> ... a way to branch out further and switch collaboration servers in a
> way friendlier than the control panel.

A problem has already been described - that the existing Control
Panel "takes over" the screen, preventing the user from seeing /
manipulating information that is not part of the Control Panel.
[One solution would be to have a separate 'pseudo-Activity' screen
for the Control Panel - then the user can "tab" to other screens (or
invoke Views) while leaving Control Panel still open.]

I'm requesting discussion of two other "improvements" to control
facilities:

((1)) Making it easier to "reach" certain control facilities.

Today, the user has to select Home View, move the cursor to the
central icon, hover (or click) to get the palette, move the cursor
to the Control Panel entry and click; in the Panel move the cursor
to the facility's icon and click -- only then can he do something.

What Eben's "alternative model" (quoted in part above) proposes is:
making a control facility "reachable" from the View which that
facility affects.  [In particular, have an icon in Neighborhood View
directly launch the 'select the collaboration server to which I want
to be connected' function.]

The idea is to keep the 'steps to make a change' simple enough so
that the user does not get distracted and lose sight of his reason
for *why* he wanted to make that change.

((2)) Making it easier to "pass" text to a control facility.

Today, when the user Registers, the applicable collaboration server
identity is provided automatically.  But choosing a different server
might require the user manually typing in that server's IP address.

If today the user has the desired new server's IP address on an
Activity's screen, he can copy that "character string" to the
clipboard, then 'paste' it into the Control Panel -> Network ->
server name field.  But if later he again changes servers, he has to
again step through providing the desired new server's IP address.

There has been talk of more 'list views'.  I think that server IP
addresses deserve a list of their own.  There ought to be a facility
to add/delete entries on this list.  And switching servers ought to
be simply a matter of bringing up the list, and clicking on the
entry for the desired new server.

mikus