9.1 Proposal: Power.

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Wed Oct 22 15:50:00 EDT 2008

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008, Chris Ball wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   > as a G1G1 user one annoyance of enabling power savings is the
>   > screen dimming while I am reading a page. I thought this was
>   > supposed to be improved, but I saw the same thing when I upgraded
>   > to 767 a week ago.
>
> There's a way this could be improved.  We previously had to dim the
> screen before CPU sleep because we weren't going to get a chance to
> dim it later -- once the CPU is off, it stays off.  Now that we have
> wakeup timers, we could do something like this:
>
>   idle+30s:  CPU sleeps
>   idle+2m:   wakeup to dim the backlight, back to sleep
>   idle+5m:   wakeup to turn off the screen, back to sleep
>
> I'm not yet entirely convinced that we should wait that long, though.
> Anyone who has used a laptop running OS X will have noticed that it
> dims the backlight after just a few (ten?) seconds of inactivity.

we notice that the backlight dimms immediatly, the problem is that this
distracts us from what we are reading to hit a button to wake it up and
get the backlight on again.

for someone playing an interactive game, this won't matter. but for
someone studying some technical content this breaks their concentration
and hinders them.

David Lang