[sugar] Dependencies (was [Activities] Tux Typing on OLPC XO)

pgf at laptop.org pgf at laptop.org
Mon Oct 20 10:51:47 EDT 2008

bert wrote:
 > See
 >
 > http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activity_bundles#Bundling_Native_Libraries

it sure seems like there should be a way for an activity to
specify a yum'able rpm, and have the system make sure that's
installed, along with any secondary dependencies.  seems
preferable to having activities drag along possibly redundant, or
obsolete, copies of libraries.  i guess the activity would need
to suggest apt-get'able names as well, for non-fedora-based
installations.

as an example, older versions of RoadMap used to include libexpat
because i think it wasn't in 656.  i happened to notice that it
was included in later releases, so i dropped it from the activity
bundle, but if i hadn't noticed, it would have been a complete
waste of space, on disk, and possibly in memory.  (actually, i'm
not sure how the loader deals with conflicting library versions --
could it perhaps even cause a conflict?  not sure about that.)

[ hmmm.  all this begs the question:  what happens to activities when
someone ports sugar to an incompatible architecture:  a bsd variant,
macos, or even non-x86 linux.  binary activities (and certainly
any libraries they bring along) will cease working -- do we have
an versioning mechanism to keep things sane in that scenario? ]

paul