Future Feature Weekly Planning Meeting

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 17:52:07 EDT 2008

Hi All,

We had an internal kick off meeting for next release planning on Wed.
October 15.

Starting next week, this will become a public Future Features planning
meeting every Wed at 2PM US ET on IRC channel #olpc-meeting freenode.net

I call it Future Feature planning instead of 9.1.0 and plan to move the
web page to that name as well. The idea is that we need to layout a long
term strategy first, then decide which parts can be executed in the
strict 9.1.0 time frame (March, 2009 delivery). That way we can track
work that may take longer than the span of a single release.

Very condensed minutes of yesterdays meeting are below. This is my rough
take so any edits or additions welcome

- Mitch and others talked about the importance of starting with the
customer, finding out what they need and hearing from them directly. How
to get comprehensive input and to then filter it in to a set of to items
which the most benefit for the most people.

- We talked about how to find a feature "champion" and also a programmer
and the two may not be the same. No consensus on exactly what the
champion will do.

- We talked about the need to lay out a strategic direction (see above)
more than a list of 9.1 features.

- We talked about what and how to have a future features planning
conference November 17 - 21 (see action items below for next
communication on this).

- Jim mentioned the need to plan in person meeting more in advance and
more than just the next one. e.g. start thinking now about one in
January (around Fudcon?).

Action items:

AI : Greg will send an e-mail asking for call for proposals for November
meeting (called XOcamp).

AI : Ed and Kim will talk together about support and deployment input
and ensure that it gets included.

AI for everybody: Read and update wiki: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/9.1.0

Next meeting Wed. October 22 at 2PM US ET IRC channel #olpc-meeting on
freenode.net

Agenda for next week:
- Take wiki, input from call for proposals and input from Kim and Ed and
make a draft agenda for November 17 - 21 meeting.

Thanks,

Greg S

PS - Just like that, 8.2 is in the can and we start on the next one! ;-)

On a personal note, thanks a lot for the super hard work everyone on
this list has done recently. More notes of appreciation and recognition
will be forthcoming. For me, 8.2 was a warm up to help me gauge our
capacity (btw its awesome!). Take a breath now if you can, the really
exciting work is just starting...