wpa supplicant init and logging

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Thu Oct 16 02:13:28 EDT 2008

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008, Ricardo Carrano wrote:

> Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 21:02:24 -0300
> From: Ricardo Carrano <carrano at laptop.org>
> To: tech-team <tech-team at laptop.org>, Devel <devel at laptop.org>
> Subject: wpa supplicant init and logging
>
> Hello all!
>
> I need help understanding two things regarding the wpa supplicant on the XO.
>
> 1 - The init process:
>
> If you boot your XO and check the running wpa processes, here is what
> you'll see:
>
> # ps aux | grep wpa
> root     1310  0.1  0.7   5444  1848 ?        S    23:46   0:00
> /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -g /var/run/wpa_supplicant-global -ddd -t
>
> But this is not what I would expect by inspecting
> /etc/init.d/wpa_supplicant and /etc/sysconfig/wpa_supplicant.
> Actually, after you do a "service wpa_supplicant restart" you would
> get what I would expect.
>
> # ps aux | grep wpa
> root     1502  0.0  0.2   5444   580 ?        Ss   23:49   0:00
> wpa_supplicant -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -B -u -f
> /var/log/wpa_supplicant.log
>
> Where is the first coming from?

NetworkManager it uses wpa_supplicant for wireless authentication
/sbin/chkconfig wpa_supplicant --list
should show that wpa_supplicant service is not enabled  so there is not a
service running twice, or the additional overhead of it.

> 2 - The logging
>
> Even if I enable -ddd on the logging (for instance by adding '-ddd' to
> OTHER_ARGS in /etc/sysconfig/wpa_supplicant and restart the daemon, I
> won't get anything interesting on the log
> (/var/log/wpa_supplicant.log). All I got after "interesting"
> associations to wpa aps is the following.

its because NetworkManager starts wpa_supplicant and uses its own controls
for running wpa_supplicant

--
Dennis Gilmore (RHCE)