OLPC as Project of the Day at FOSS.in

Dafydd Harries dafydd.harries at collabora.co.uk
Wed Oct 15 09:35:01 EDT 2008

Ar 14/10/2008 am 12:15, ysgrifennodd John Gilmore:
> How about Collaboration as project of the day?
>
> Isn't our collaboration framework already shipped in other distros?
> The problem is that few applications actually use it to allow easy
> collaboration among end-users.  There's probably some GUI work needed,
> and some integration with each app.
>
> If we could catalyze/bootstrap the collaborative aspect of general
> Linux applications, we'd get a lot more community buy-in than if we
> proposed a project that only runs on XO hardware (no end user runs
> Sugar off XO hardware).  (Unless we provided an XO to each conference
> attendee...)
>
> As a result, we'd have a lot more collab-ified Linux applications that
> could be run by the kids on their XO's.  And a lot more app developers
> would have collab in mind as they wrote their next app.

I think a tutorial/hacking session around collaboration could work very well.
Perhaps an introductory session followed by some group hacking. All
recent Linux distributions should have all the prerequisites packaged.

I'm not sure how easy it is to make something which works on the XO and off
it. In principle, of course, it should be trivial, but I suspect that we
haven't reached that goal yet. I imagine it's not too difficult if the code is
structured appropriately though.

The main thing is to get people familiar and excited with the technology.

--
Dafydd