ship Gnash 0.8.4 RC1 in OLPC 8.2.0?

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Mon Oct 13 13:57:57 EDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 12:34 PM, rihoward1 at gmail.com
<rihoward1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> You really do not get it do you!!  The basic functionality should be
> provided by OLPC with a build of gnash optimized for the Geode.

I'm glad to hear that 0.8.4 will result in a significantly better
experience for XO users - all the more reason to see it championed for
8.2.1. If you are interested, my suggestions for the next steps are:
 - file a redhat bug to get it included in F9/F10
 - the outcome should be some RPMs which we can test in OLPC; put out
a request to thislist for testers
 - file a trac bug for inclusion in joyride
 - write a mail to this list, championing for an 8.2.1 release

Perhaps I can help you on that as of next week.

Rest assured that had 0.8.4 come out and passed Fedora or our own QA
when active 8.2 development was happening, I would have seen it into
8.2 in an instant. In fact, I spent quite a bit of time working with
Gnash this summer: I tested various sites reported to fail with the
version of Gnash we shipped in 8.1, reported improvements for most of
them, I fixed a bug in the linking setup which was causing gnash to be
totally non-functional in browse (patch was contributed and accepted
upstream), and I rebuilt it a couple of times to fix fallout with
other system components. I never recommended the Adobe option to
anybody. I feel guilty that gnash was neglected in the 8.1 days (new
snapshots ignored even when active development was happening) so I did
my bit to help for 8.2.

In this case, OLPC has a communicated time-based release cycle, and
the time when we would have readily put changes like this in 8.2
finished weeks ago. I'm sad that we probably won't ship gnash-0.8.4,
I'm also upset that we have to ship such an old gstreamer, same for
evince, and it's a shame we won't be shipping the fastboot
improvements in Linux 2.6.28, etc. That's just how it has to work when
you are working to provide a stable release on a schedule. Some
sacrifices have to be made.

I should note that I'm a bit out of touch from the current state of
8.2 development, so don't treat my words as authorative. Just wanted
to make sure these mails don't go unanswered - it's great to see more
people caring about gnash.

Thanks,
Daniel