5 sec boot

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Mon Oct 6 10:30:28 EDT 2008

On 04/10/08 18:07 -0700, Deepak Saxena wrote:
> - Embedded systems often use a suspend image to speedup boottime.
>   Basically load an image into memory and then jump into the
>   kernel as if we are resuming from firmware. Another approach
>   if we can't do a full suspend image this is to use the new
>   container code and save the runtime of the user session so we
>   can just reload it. Both these methods require flash space...

++ - A suspend image would really help.  The only gotcha is (as
always), USB.  You would probably need to create an image without
any USB devices attached, and then let probing take over after
you have "resumed".

There are several successful embedded solutions that use snapshot
images to great effect.  We should borrow liberally from their
ideas.

Jordan

--
Jordan Crouse