Devel Digest, Vol 32, Issue 12

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Sat Oct 4 19:37:52 EDT 2008

mikus wrote

> p.s.  Despite asking, I haven't been able to find out why, during
>        boot, sometimes a green "OLPC" icon gets shown, but often is
>        not shown.  Should I conclude that its presence depends on the
>        absence of an SD card, or on "the drop of a hat" ?

The only green icon in OFW depicts a stylized laptop.  Is that what you
mean by "OLPC"?

When booting is secure mode, the green laptop and other icons below the
center XO icon appear only if the check key is depressed, or when the
screen has to be "unfrozen" to display boot failure information.

The green laptop signifies that NAND FLASH is being searched for boot
files (developer key, activation lease key, kernel, ramdisk).  Other
icons - red USB key , orange SD card - show when other devices are being
searched.  A series of small dots below the icon signify various stages
in the search process - presence of a filesystem on the device, search
for developer key, firmware update bundle, activation lease key, and OS
bundle.

After OFW has transferred control to the OS, a different set of icons
depicts problems in the lease-acquisition process.  I don't know where
to find a description of what those icons mean, but the Python code that
displays them is in
http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=users/cscott/act-gui;a=tree , specifically
in the file gui_server.py

BTW, I found this page that describes the information I told you
privately about OFW and the dots -
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Startup_Diagnosis