New release8.2 build 764

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 14:11:58 EDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 12:34 PM, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 12:31 PM,  <david at lang.hm> wrote:
>> On Sun, 28 Sep 2008, C. Scott Ananian wrote:
>>> Requesting dev keys should not be difficult!  How can we fix that problem?
>>
>> one headache (at least from the initial G1G1 machines) was the inability to
>> do a cut-n-paste of the long key between the terminal and the browser and
>> therefor the need to copy the long key manually between screens (or to and
>> from paper)

This part of the problem, fortunately, has been addressed.  It's
definitely possible to copy from Browse and paste into Terminal.
(pasting can be done with the button in the Edit toolbar, or
ctrl-shift-V).  That should take a lot of the frustration out of the
process, in the short term.  As Scott mentioned, we hope to push the
whole process into the control panel, so that it's not necessary to
mess around with several activities, copy/paste, or other hassles in
order to obtain a key.  Instead, just open settings, click on the
security icon, and press the "Request security key" button.  This same
module can then show progress updates, tell you when it's installed
(install it automatically, of course), and even offer to back it up to
a USB device for you if we want.

- Eben