Music Keyboard for TamTam?

Erik Garrison erik at laptop.org
Sun Nov 30 17:16:05 EST 2008

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 12:20 AM, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
> On 30 Nov 2008, at 01:29, Erik Garrison wrote:

>>> i really have no idea how such devices are normally presented to
>>> the systems, but is it possible that the keyboard is consists of
>>> more than one USB device (i.e., via a built-in hub) and that not
>>> all the drivers are present on the XO?
>>>

>> FWIW, The M-audio systems abide by open midi specifications and are
>> platform-independent.  I don't know about the driver situation.
>>
>> There is a program which can be used to dump midi signals to stdout.
>> It might be a good test as it's very simple to configure and its
>> results are very clear, unlike the audio programs you'll want to use.
>
> ... and it's called??? Gah! ;-)

I'm not at an XO or my development machine now, but looked around the
web to try to find some information to help.

See: http://www.4front-tech.com/pguide/midi.html

Does the system have a /dev/midi* when you plug the device in?

Do you see anything interesting in the kernel logs returned with dmesg?

Unfortunately our kernel configs aren't online anywhere i can find...
but I'll check to see if it's enabled.  My guess would be not, but
perhaps I'm mistaken.

> I'm trying to hack my way through coding csound, but I've not had much time
> to play so far. A magic midi data dumping tool would be a nice shortcut to
> test – FWIW, I can see my M-audio correctly listed on the USB as an
> available MIDI input device, but not got any further yet.

Perhaps cat /dev/midi*  if the file(s) exist.

Erik