Music Keyboard for TamTam?

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 16:27:14 EST 2008

2008/11/15 Caryl Bigenho <cbigenho at hotmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if there would be a way to connect a usb musical keyboard to
> the XO to use with the TamTam suite of Activities?
>
> The software would have to be able to recognize the input from the
> keyboard.  A small 37-key midi keyboard by M-Audio costs about $50.
> <http://www.fullcompass.com/product/324805.html>.  It supposedly works with
> any computer with a usb connection, but I suspect they mean any Mac or
> Windows based machine.

With an appropriate USB MIDI driver installed.

> The programs in the TamTam suite are really powerful, and could appeal to
> older children and adults if the keyboard input was more suited to their
> larger hands.
>
> Any ideas?

We need to add a driver from the usual sources, and we need to modify
our music software to accept MIDI from USB as well as from
conventional files. This being Linux, the changes required for
handling a port as a file are fairly trivial internally, but we need a
UI to select USB I/O and to map it to the desired instrument.

Once we have this, we get not just MIDI keyboards, but drums, guitars,
breath controllers, string controllers, and all the rest, and we can
play any instrument from any controller.

I am also looking forward to using the second touch screen on an XO-2
as a MIDI controller, with all of the graphical input possibilities
that it will allow: keyboard, drums, string tablature, theremin,...

> I'm not on your mailing list so please just cc your answer to:
>
> Caryl at laptop.org
>
> Thanks

And Children are my nation.