XO Feature Roadmap Meeting Minutes from November 26

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 17:24:06 EST 2008

Hi Marco,

NP on the meeting, thanks for reading the minutes!
Comments inline.

 > * What's the time target of these features? I assume 9.1 *and* beyhond?

GS - This page is the heap of all items we have thought of building on
the XO: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap I have a few days left
to make sure everything under consideration is on there. Then I plan to
start tagging items for 9.1 and adding other tags. For 9.1, a quick
filter will show what is top priority for that release. In the end I
want it to look like this: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+specs

Then I will have a separate 9.1 page with the 9.1 filter and additional
project management details (schedule etc. like we did in 8.2) and a
statement of goals.

 > * Is it work OLPC stuff is going to do or something we encourage the
 > community to take over?

GS - Its going to cover both. I need to get the top priority OLPC stuff
nailed down ASAP. Then I want to list the things which are important to
XO users and make it easy for anyone to work on those.

 > * Do we need some sort of consensus about features before adding them
to the
 > roadmap? For example it's the first time I hear Joe "remove the
frame" idea
 > and I don't think it has been discussed at all with the design team.

GS - No consensus needed to put it on this page. Just follow the
guidelines
(http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap#Suggestions_for_providing_input)
and make sure its well motivated.  Getting something built is another story.

 > * Any reason to *not* use trac directly for it instead of the wiki? It
 > mostly seems like a list of items.

GS - I want requirements, specifications, lists of customers and more
detail then we have in trac. I also use the wiki to show the feature
design to customers and get their ack on the requirements. Lastly, I
want an easy place to track topics and main ideas. Items on the wiki can
have one or more Trac items as well. Its extra work to use wiki and Trac
but those are my reasons. Again, I want to follow the Ubuntu example and
I think Semantic wiki will get me real close...

 > * How do I propose a feature to be added to the list?

GS - Just out it on there. Follow the guidelines and make sure you are
as clear as possible about who benefits from the feature and how. I get
an e-mail whenever the page is updated but you can also e-mail me
directly. Also, if you have an idea and want to know if any customers
have asked for it or if they would benefit from it, feel free to ask and
I'll hunt down an answer for you.

Thanks,

Greg S

PS Thursday and Friday are holidays in the US. Back online Monday.