Conundrum - XO connected to AP + Mesh?

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Mon Nov 24 00:07:03 EST 2008

On Nov 23, 2008, at 9:00 PM, Ian Daniher wrote:

> Hello all,
> I've been asking on #olpc-devel the last few days, trying to figure
> out how to connect my XO simultaneously to both a mexh network and
> to an AP.
> My goal is to have the same XO able to surf the internet and ssh
> into meshed XOs. Whether or not this XO acts as an MPP, providing
> other XOs with internet, is irrelevant.  I hope to do this as
> simply as possible via terminal. I'm guessing there's some magic
> recipe of ifconfig and iwconfig commands, but no one seems to know
> what it is.
> My goal is to do this without network manager.

Hmm.   Have you just tried it ?  It works for me.

With release 8.2, the mesh interface is still up and available when
connected to an AP.
Address the laptops on a mesh network on the same channel via their
self-assigned
addresses (169.254.x.x) and you can ping and ssh them from an AP
connected XO
without problems.

wad