F-10 joyride vs 8.2 - getting fixes upstream.

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 19:43:34 EST 2008

>> Inlined below but the problem we have at the moment with things pretty
>> locked down in preparation for Fedora-10 final the changes and fixes
>> we get in are being held in the updates queue (like the ones I fixed
>> yesterday).
>
> Don't let this slow you down. Tag your packages as dist-olpc4. I just
> did these for the 3 you have already done (thanks!). They will appear
> in joyride later tonight.
>
>> A large chunk of the differences are already upstream in Fedora 10.
>> The rest I'm prepared to run with as much as possible and I'm sure
>> gregdek, jkatz and others on the fedora-olpc are there to help me out,
>> plus of course the no doubt copious advice from this list ;-)
>
> Thanks. With the Fedora 9 upgrade, we found it really useful to have a
> wiki page listing the outstanding regressions that were related to
> upgrade fallout. I created one here:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC-4
> and populated it with the parts from
> Distro_version_migration_nastiness that I think need to be fixed for
> F10/9.1. Feel free to update and modify as you see fit, or ignore if
> you think it is useless :)
>
>> The reason I propose this while might be a bit more work now it means
>> that overall fedora mainline will end up assisting in the majority of
>> the work.
>
> Agreed, and now is the right time in the cycle.
>
>> These ones are much much easier to fix as its within the Fedora
>> project. We'll issues we'll have is with the more unresponsive
>> developers but there are ways to deal with those. I'm quite happy to
>> deal with these ones, log bugs, and even make the changes required in
>> conjunction with the package maintainers.
>
> Sounds good. I think you will find that some are harder to fix, even
> though they are entirely Fedora, because OLPC has different
> requirements from your normal desktop users. Let's see how we get on
> :)
>
>> There's a couple of ways it can be dealt with. Someone can file a bug
>> an link it against the tracker bug so I can chase. Or to flag them to
>> me and I'll file the bug and chase. I already have done some of these.
>
> OK. I want to help with some of this, I did a lot of the work for F9
> so know what to look for and how to address these things. Expect some
> bugs coming from my end :)

Looking through some of the totem and totem-pl-parser dependencies I
think its going to one that in the short term at least it will
probably be quicker to have our own branch initially as it seems it
pulls in gnome-desktop which in turn pulls in alot of the themes etc
that we don't need. If someone wants to request the cvs branches I can
merge the differences from mainline and the old OLPC-3 branch build
and tag it in the morning.

Too late here in the UK for me to look at much else today.

Cheers,
Peter