Music Keyboard for TamTam?

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sun Nov 16 23:06:17 EST 2008

Hi Caryl,

On 16 Nov 2008, at 04:54, Caryl Bigenho wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if there would be a way to connect a usb musical
> keyboard to the XO to use with the TamTam suite of Activities?
>
> The software would have to be able to recognize the input from the
> keyboard.  A small 37-key midi keyboard by M-Audio costs about $50.
> <http://www.fullcompass.com/product/324805.html>.  It supposedly
> works with any computer with a usb connection, but I suspect they
> mean any Mac or Windows based machine.
>
> The programs in the TamTam suite are really powerful, and could
> appeal to older children and adults if the keyboard input was more
> suited to their larger hands.
>
> Any ideas?

Ooh I've been meaning to test this for a while – so I've just plugged
my M-Audio 49-e into the XO (release 8.2-767), and tried each of the
TamTam suite... Unfortunately it seems to have no effect :-(

This was only a very quick attempt, I'll try a deeper look and see if
anything obvious is borked, will likely poke about with csound in the
raw and see what I can pick-up:

	http://wiki.laptop.org/go/CSound

I'm guessing this may well work, or at least used to, as I found this
flicker shot of Simon and Walter testing an early board prototype :-)

	http://flickr.com/photos/48600098314@N01/189728345/

Anyone else tried, or can point me in the right direction (is there
some /dev I should look for)?