Scam alert: [Fwd: Thank you from One Laptop per Child]

Chris Marshall jns-cmarshall at comcast.net
Sun Nov 16 14:18:39 EST 2008

Benjamin M. Schwartz wrote:

> pgf at laptop.org wrote:
>> this mail was/is legitimate, and is part of the G1G1 launch
>> starting tomorrow.  the links go through a redirector so that
>> OLPC can see statistics on click-through responses.
>>
>> i understand completely why it made you nervous, however.  we'll
>> consult with our mailing partner to find out what we can do about
>> the URLs in future mailings.

I'm sorry, if I get an e-mail with visible links to
amazon.com/xo and the hidden version not coming from
the amazon.com domain I will delete first and ask
questions later.

This trick is *exactly* what phishing and identity
theft spammers do.  I certainly would not forward
such a message to anyone without verification of
its validity.

If the links were instead to some scrambled URL in
same domain, e.g. laptop.org, that would at least
indicate that the link gibberish is likely valid
since it is in the same domain as the link claims
to be.

--Chris