How to get screenshot thumbnail?

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 12:44:13 EST 2008

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 12:37 PM, Chris Marshall
<jns-cmarshall at comcast.net> wrote:
> I used the Alt-1 shortcut to get a screenshot
> for reference which was duly saved in the Journal.
> When I went to the Journal and reviewed the
> entry, the thumbnail preview was blank.
>
> I tried to resume the screenshot and Browse was
> the Activity of choice to view.  I tried quitting
> Browse and going back to the Journal entry, still
> no preview.
>
> Is there some sequence of events required to get
> the preview to appear?
>
> 2 thoughts:
>
> ** Alt-1 screenshots should populate the preview
>    image as they are saved

Agreed.  Journal previews are a feature in need of much improvement.
I think there has been some discussion of ideas on this topic for the
next release.

> ** We could use a featherweight image viewer to
>    look at images full screen with zooming.  Maybe
>    an Activity wrapper around ImageMagick library
>    calls would do it.  Fast and simple would be
>    the goal here.

Sayamindu has put together the "Image Viewer" activity, which is
pretty nice.  It's relatively new, but I think it works well.  We
could probably push for inclusion in the default activity sets and
perhaps make this the default viewer in a future release.
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Image_Viewer

- Eben