OLPC France CodeCamp in Paris

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net
Fri Nov 14 10:19:50 EST 2008

Hi Lionel and all OLPC France,

excuse me if this comes too late or isn't to the point, but would like
to propose to hack on a mind mapping activity during the CodeCamp in
Paris.

I think this project has the appeal of being in direct connection to
the needs in the field. Teachers from Uruguay, Peru and Panama have
asked for such a tool, and have been exploring alternatives that may
not be the best: drawing in Paint, using the connectors in Etoys,
executing a java app (CMaps) inside the X Activity or using web apps.

Happens that a pygtk application for mind mapping already exists and
its architecture makes for an easy port to sugar. It's called
Labyrinth [0] and was proposed more than one year ago by Jim Gettys
[1] though no resources were allocated. Recently, teachers in the
olpc-sur mailing lists asked again for it [2] and I gave a quick (2
hours) try to sugarize it with some success [3].

In [3] you can find links to the activity bundle, a screenshot and a
patch to the code in the svn repository.

[0] http://www.gnome.org/~dscorgie/labyrinth.html
[1] http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/4577
[2] http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/olpc-sur/2008-November/001168.html
[3] http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/olpc-sur/2008-November/001173.html

My proposal is for the CodeCamp participants to divide in pairs and
each pair to choose one feature to add or bug to fix. At the end of
the session, everybody would integrate all the changes and produce a
single bundle.

Most of the functionality is already in the original pygtk app, it's
"just" a matter of exposing that functionality through the Sugar UI.

I will try to be in #sugar at FreeNode during the CodeCamp to answer questions.

After the CodeCamp, we could send the bundle to teachers in olpc-sur
and ask them to try it and give feedback. Also, at some point whoever
is interested in following up could contact the authors of Labyrinth
and see the best way to upstream the changes.

What do you say, looks like a challenge?

Regards,

Tomeu