NetworkManager-0.7

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Sun Nov 9 21:05:26 EST 2008

Daniel writes:
> On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 12:13 AM, Mikus Grinbergs <mikus at bga.com> wrote:
>> genesee writes:
>>> NetworkManager-0.7 and/or NetworkManager-glib killed my Neigborhood view.
>>
>> Same problem here.
>
> We're mid-way through the upgrade to sugar-0.83. And even when that's
> done, there will be mucho breakage (see Tomeu's earlier post).
>
> I think joyride will break often over the course of the next few
> months as development runs in full swing.
>
> Thanks for letting us know anyway.

--------

I sent in my post to celebrate a milestone -- something *worked*
(suspend/resume with a wired ethernet) that had not previously.

To then quote a non-positive comment was to mis-read my post.

--------

"... joyride will break often over the ... next few months ..."

I appear to be having difficulties communicating with this list.
When I ask for advice - it is sparse;  when I don't ask - it is
offered.  I'm not sure of the purpose of the above sentence - am I
being advised to leave joyride to "development"?

My original post was merely to describe what I saw.  But now I *am*
asking for advice - http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Network_manager_0.7 is
not enough for me to figure out how come some things are being shown
in Neighborhood View but others are not.  Please - those of you who
have practical experience with NM-0.7 - I would appreciate pointers
to more information on how to _use_ NM-0.7 (in place of NM-0.6).

Yes, I expect things to break "as development runs in full swing".
But I think both developers and users will make faster progress if
hurdles are met with a "here, this might help" attitude.

mikus

p.s.  The two principal "helpful hints" I've been using so far with
NM-0.7 is "if I don't like the IP address it assigns (e.g., an
IPv6), I manually do 'ifconfig down', then 'ifconfig up' with the
desired address (e.g., an IPv4)";  and "if I don't like the wireless
characteristics it assigns (e.g., the channel), I manually do
'iwconfig' to set the desired value for that characteristic".