MPP with two XOs and a pppd via GPRS

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Fri Nov 7 15:03:39 EST 2008

I have two XOs (XO#1 and XO#2) with build 767. XO#1 is connected using
wvdial (pppd) over GPRS. I am using Vodafone's service in India. By
itself, XO#1 gets online. I do have to add the nameserver to
/etc/resolv.conf but other than that, it works. When I try to set XO#1
as a MPP using the mpp.py script from
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Modem#How_to_share_internet_among_other_XOs
I get an error related to iptables the first time. On a second
attempt, I get no errors and the mpp.py script seems to do its magic.
olpc-netstatus reveals that XO#1 is in MPP mode.

XO#2 cycles through the 3 channels and finally settles at mesh 1 (same
as the MPP XO#1) but does not say "XO Mesh". XO#2 says "Simple mesh"
and fails to get online via XO#1. Adding the nameserver t0 XO#2 does
not help.

Any pointers?

Sameer
--