Greg Smith Weekly Report, Week Ending 10/31

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 16:23:27 EST 2008

The technical miniconference (AKA XO Camp) has been rescheduled from
November, 2008 to early January, 2009. The agenda and exact dates are
under construction at: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XOcamp_2

Future feature requests and roadmap goals are being collected at:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap

This page collects all well motivated feature ideas without regard to
priority. After a period of brainstorming and discussion, we will choose
the most important and update them with more detail (i.e. requirements
and specifications). Then we will scope the work effort for each and
pick target releases. Some features will take longer than one release to
deliver.

Feature requests by country are tracked at:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_requests

The two pages will be tied together so that every feature has one or
more countries identified as target users.

*****************************

Status of last weeks goals:

1 - Update Feature Roadmap page: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap
Get everything on the page (especially field input gathered this week).
Work with engineers to move their stuff up to main requirements section
and start adding specifications. Add more details in countries section.
Prepare to link country requests to requirements.

GS - Partially done. Thanks to Eben, the feature roadmap page was
redesigned! Many features were added and country requests were updated
with input from people who spent time in Ethiopia, Rwanda, Haiti, and
Peru. Please add your well defined and/or user motivated feature
requests to the page. For engineers, please move your ideas up from the
Priorities_from_Engineering section so that every piece of work has a
place in the roadmap. Include links to e-mail threads or other web pages
as needed and try to separate requirements (what it should do for the
user) and design/specification (what it actually will do in terms of
interface and how it can be coded).

2 - Make first pass agenda for Mini-conference. Update proposals page as
needed: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XOcamp_2

GS - Partially done. The miniconference has been postponed to early
January. We reviewed 1/2 the conference proposals and will do the rest
next week.

3 - Update deployments page. http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Deployments

GS - Done. I updated the status of all the large deployments. Smaller
ones are still listed but not updated.

4 - Start writing detailed use cases, complete ideas for using XO/XS
(probably a requirements definition for supporting "learning projects"),
and presentations for mini-conference.

GS - Not done. Started a brief thread on asynchronous collaboration but
haven't gotten to real requirements or use cases yet.

*****************
Goals for next week.
1 - Continue prioritization of Mini-conference proposals and start
filling in next level of detail for each.

2 - Update roadmap page: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap
Follow up with deployments to verify priorities. Get a second level of
detail from deployments on what they need.

3 - Start writing detailed use cases, complete ideas for using XO/XS
(probably a requirements definition for supporting "learning projects"),
and presentations for mini-conference.

Thanks,

Greg S