[sugar] Sucrose 0.83.1 Development Release

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Mon Nov 3 05:04:36 EST 2008

Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 9:30 PM, S Page <info at skierpage.com> wrote:
>> Simon Schampijer wrote:
>>> This is our first Development Release in the 0.84 cycle. The code base
>>> has seen many refactoring efforts to improve the platform.
>> Will OLPC joyride builds pick up the new Sucrose?
>
> Sure. Hopefully soon.
>
>>> Furthermore the datastore has been rewritten, to simplify and improve
>>> maintainability. The API has been kept in place.
>> What happens when you upgrade an XO with the old datastore?
>
> The old datastore will be updated to the new format.
>
>> What happens if you then downgrade it?
>
> You lose.
>
>>> Sugar moved to use Gconf as a back end to store the profile.
>> When you upgrade an XO, does it import your old profile
>> (~olpc/.sugar/default/config)?
>
> Yup.
>
>> What happens if you then downgrade?
>
> You will be prompted to enter again a name, choose a color, etc.

Right when we upgrade the old profile is ported to gconf and the
.sugar/default/config file is erased - so when we downgrade we check for
the presence of that file and will create the config like we do on first
boot.

>>> An ABI policy has been figured out and modules have been marked as
>>> STABLE / UNSTABLE / DEPRECATED.
>> Where are they marked, in the .py files?
>
> Yes, in the docstrings so it should make it to places like
> http://api.sugarlabs.org
>
>>> == Fructose news ==
>> Are the new activity versions backwards-compatible with 8.2?  If so, the
>> maze of Activity lists should be updated.
>
> Most of them yes, a notable exception is Browse because depends on
> xulrunner and hulahop. Read has the same issue, but evince hasn't been
> updated (yet) so for now it should work.
>
>> Currently http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities/Joyride pulls in
>> Activities/G1G1 , as does Activities/G1G1/8.2, and that list still
>> references old versions -- Browse 98 not 100, Read 52 not 60, etc. --
>> even though the links say "Browse (latest)".
>
> Who could take care of this?

Activities/G1G1/8.2 is right to pull in Browse 98 - since the latest
browse is dependent on the latest hulahop. The others should be updated
I guess.

Best,
    Simon