debxo 0.3 release

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Nov 3 01:05:52 EST 2008

On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 09:27:52PM -0800, david at lang.hm wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Nov 2008, James Cameron wrote:
>> The TODO file in the xodist git repository has a hardware enablement
>> section that I added last week, which covers some of the things this
>> thread has discussed.
>
> link to xodist please?

xodist is the git repository name for the scripts that generate debxo
images.

git://lunge.mit.edu/git/xodist (per Andres' mail of 28th Oct)
or
http://dev.laptop.org/~quozl/xodist.git/ (my repo, sync'ed)

> do you have the direction and rotate game keys working?

I don't know.

>> brightness control keys (conflicts with function key usage)
>> volume control keys (conflicts with function key usage)
>
> these don't need system changes, just deciding which function those keys
> should do, the brightness and volume functions are strictly in software
> (and done via X hooks, as can be shown by the fact that these do not work
> in a console, and in fact crash the system if you hit them there)

Seems more logical to handle these keys in the kernel.

>> turn off backlight on suspend or hibernate
>
> I don't use suspend or hibernate enough to help, but now that we have the
> script to control the backlight this should be fairly easy (although you
> really want to turn off the entire screen, not just the backlight, at
> least for hibernate, don't you?)

If you're saying "the OLPC XO build also turns off the screen hardware",
then the next question is "how?" ... presumably this can be found by
examining it.

>> The latter method is how xodist's initchroot.sh script does some
>> features ... like setting up /etc/modules, xorg.conf, and so forth.
>
> I'm actually not happy with how the OLPC currently handles these things,
> they are too X (and sugar) specific. we need to get a layer lower if we
> can.

Good.  But the general purpose solutions in Debian are perhaps too
general for this situation.  Things like the discover package.