debxo 0.3 release

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Nov 3 00:09:46 EST 2008

The TODO file in the xodist git repository has a hardware enablement
section that I added last week, which covers some of the things this
thread has discussed.

-- cut --

hardware enablement
-------------------
keymap for the extra keyboard keys and game buttons
        key to right of esc, second from start of first row
        key to right of f12, second from end of first row
        fn, first key on last row
        multiply divide, last key on second last row
brightness control keys (conflicts with function key usage)
volume control keys (conflicts with function key usage)
turn off backlight on suspend or hibernate
hibernate on lid close

-- cut --

Yes, it may be just a matter of finding out how the OLPC OS builds do
the task and ensuring that the patch goes upstream far enough ... but if
not, the other solutions are:

1.  producing .deb forms of the OLPC specific .rpm packages,
(repackaging work), or

2.  producing short hacks that make configuration changes to the
generated root filesystem before making the image.

The latter method is how xodist's initchroot.sh script does some
features ... like setting up /etc/modules, xorg.conf, and so forth.

If you would like to help, then research how to get the effect you
desire, test it on a laptop, then adjust initchroot to do it, try
generating new images, and send us the patch.

--

On the weekend I had two visits by five kids and four adults, and I left
a collection of XOs lying around for them to play with, half with the