Code of Conduct (was Re: Bitfrost and dual-boot)

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at gmail.com
Fri May 30 05:04:57 EDT 2008

[+cc: Mako]

Selective quoting:

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 7:15 AM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:
> You're on crack, Albert.
> Albert, I'm not talking to you any more until you start making sense.

Not to pick on you personally Edward, this just triggered something:
I've long thought we need an equivalent of the Ubuntu code of conduct
in the OLPC / Sugar communities:
http://www.ubuntu.com/community/conduct - written by Mako
(http://mako.cc/copyrighteous/20071112-00)

There should be no excuse for personal attacks, insults, or anger
directed at individuals, whether in public or private correspondence -
but especially in public. Disputes should always be resolved in
private, if possible. There is an alarming tendency to attack others
on this project in public, as if that gives some credibility to the
argument.

Since our project is not only open but also for children, we should be
doubly motivated to treat each other with the respect that we want to
model for the children of the world. Would you say the same things if
you were standing in the middle of a classroom of kids?

I want to encourage ALL who see this email to read the Ubuntu code of
conduct (once again, http://www.ubuntu.com/community/conduct) and make
a personal commitment to abide by the spirit of it until such time as
we formally introduce one. As for me, I digitally signed it to become
an "Ubuntero" years ago and am now an Ubuntu member. We would do well
to emulate the governance structures of the Ubuntu community, which
have successfully scaled to a large and ever-growing positive
community.

Regards
Morgan