Video from last week's country meetings.

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Thu May 29 19:36:49 EDT 2008

Thanks for your work, Scott. I should have said that I don't think
anything I complained about was your doing.

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 10:02 AM, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 2:49 PM, Yoshiki Ohshima <yoshiki at vpri.org> wrote:
>> At Mon, 26 May 2008 14:58:06 -0400,
>> C. Scott Ananian wrote:
>>> I've now encoded and uploaded video from all of last Tuesday's talks;
>>> links at the url above.  Hopefully I will be able to get a copy of the
>>  Thank you!  However, the video part of Alan Kay's talk is frozen at
>> one point and never comes back.  Is it possible to resurrect it?
>
> And Edward Cherlin wrote:
>>I got to see only short bits of Nicholas's presentations, using Gnash on Ubuntu. The others I tried seemed to be complete.
>> The slide decks are very badly formatted, with text running off the pages, and remarkably uninformative.
>> Alan Kay's presentation is one of the best I have ever seen. Thanks.
>
> Please let me know the exact URL you had trouble viewing, and
> double-check the sizes against the index listing on
> http://download.laptop.org/content/conf/20080520-country-wkshp/Video/2008-05-20/
> to ensure you have the whole file.

Also the setup you are using. In my case,

64-bit Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy)
Firefox 3.0b5
Gnash 0.8.2-0ubuntu3

The small SWFs are too small on the screen, and I haven't gotten sound
from any that I tried. Wait, I see that there are medium-sized SWFs at
http://download.laptop.org/content/conf/20080520-country-wkshp/Video/2008-05-20/.
OK, I can view them, but I still don't get sound.

Today the Oggs play correctly. I don't know what happened yesterday.

The PDFs are broken in Document Viewer and Xpdf. They could be fixed
in Inkscape, but I don't have the time to do it.

> There are multiple versions of
> each talk, and it's possible that I goofed encoding some of them, but
> it's tedious for me to view them all (again!) to figure out which one
> you might have been having problems with.  The source DVD seems to be
> complete, so I should be able to correct any problems you find.
>
> If you originally downloaded the files before Tuesday, you might also
> try redownloading them, as you may have been seeing partial files
> before then.
>
> Finally, the .ppt files posted at
> http://download.laptop.org/content/conf/20080520-country-wkshp/Presentations/
> are in most cases the originals.  I converted them to PDF in
> OpenOffice, but I didn't have time (or the Microsoft software) to
> verify that the PDF conversions were accurate.  In at least some
> cases, the .ppts seem to have been saved without the images they
> referenced.

Although I haven't run into any missing graphics yet, the text layout
in the PPTs are equally broken, but in OpenOffice Impress, I can read
the text that runs off the page when I select the slide. It would be
much easier to fix these files, but still time-consuming. We must ask
for volunteers. Is anybody with a bit of spare time comfortable with
reformatting in OpenOffice Impress? We just need line breaks and text
size adjusted, as far as I know. I can provide coaching, if needed.

> If people are willing to do the work to determine exactly which files
> have which problems (and/or give me better PDF/ogg/swf conversions
> where OpenOffice/gstreamer/ffmpeg is falling down on the job) I'll
> pester the people involved for missing bits and update the versions on
> download.laptop.org.
>
> On the other hand, I can't help it if the slides for some of the talks
> are uninformative =).  (Actually, I'm already doing what I can, which
> is trying to get video to supplement the slides.)
>
> Unsplit DVD-format video for Wed, Thurs, and Fri should be ready on
> Monday (I'm told); it will probably take another few days after that
> to get it encoded in more viewer-friendly formats.
>  --scott
>
> --
>  ( http://cscott.net/ )

Edward Cherlin