Adobe opens Flash--How much?

Rob Savoye rob at welcomehome.org
Mon May 26 05:46:22 EDT 2008

Tomeu Vizoso wrote:

> Anybody knows what stops us from directly using the standard gnash
> build in fedora?

   They're not so good on updating either. You'll have better luck with
my own builds on http://getgnash.org, or the Ubuntu builds, which are
much more up to date.

> If we really need to maintain our own gnash rpms, then I volunteer
> (with my limited koji skills and time) to keep them updated.

   For Gnash "make rpm" works good. :-) Our new release should be out in
a week or so, I'd stall till then, or build the release branch.
http://wiki.gnashdev.org/Release_0_8_3

> Rob, you can be sure most people here understands what you feel. Just
> wanted to say that, regardless of what Nicholas says, there will be

   As we don't have to do anything special for XO builds, there isn't
that much I need to do anymore for the OLPC anyway. Instead I'm working
with other organizations doing similar things, I still believe strongly
that educating the children is very important. Nicholas's claims that a
big reason to use XP was to get flash player support was really
irritating... That and I am a "free software fundamentalist", and proud
of it. He obviously doesn't want people like me around.

> Not completely happy with that, we're working on making our software
> available in other hardware platforms and for other deployments. This
> community is forming right now in http://sugarlabs.org.

   Yes, and I think that's a good thing. I also have my own new
non-profit to run, http://www.openmedianow.org, and the battle to free
codecs and other multimedia formats and protocols is keeping me very
busy. As this will benefit both the OLPC and SugarLabs, I'm still
helping in my own way.

	- rob -