Adobe opens Flash--How much?

Rob Savoye rob at welcomehome.org
Mon May 26 05:02:55 EDT 2008

Sofia Papoutsidaki wrote:
> To Mr Savoye, or anybody who could give an accountable answer,
>      "since the source code of swf and flv Files

   Adobe didn't release any source code at all. All they released was
the API specification for ActionScript, and a few other things that we
figured out years ago. I put my own versions of these documents on the
Gnash site close to 3 years ago...

   For more answers, see this interview: http://www.linux.com/feature/134378

> is opened, i think it is possible to create a cd in Flash 7 (or more)
> hoping that soon olpc will be able to run it. Or, at least, in Flash
> lite 2.1(or more).Do you think it is a good idea? In other words,
> which version of Flash is it better for us to try at the moment?"

   Gnash, which is on the OLPC already, supports up to swf version 9,
FlashLite only supports version 7. As our ActionScript 3 class library
us still in development, I'd suggest using version 7 or 8 for the best
compatibility. Maybe someday I'll manage to get somebody to build a more
recent version of Gnash for the XO, as the version being shipped is
ancient, but there appears to be nothing I can do about it. To be
honest, I've given up paying much attention to the OLPC project thanks
to Nicholas, so good luck.

	- rob -