XO-2 software plans

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Fri May 23 17:34:12 EDT 2008

Bert...

Part of the problem is the X driver model is pretty broken, causing much
more to be done in software than should be necessary; and it isn't clear
we're even using X efficiently at the moment...  The driver stuff is
getting fixed (in general in X: this is the EXA/DRI2 work); profiling of
our entire software stack is in order to see where our real problems are
at the moment.
                     - Jim

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 19:58 +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 23.05.2008, at 19:38, Jordan Crouse wrote:
>
> > On 23/05/08 18:00 +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> >>
> >> /me wants a graphics accelerator.
> >
> > Minor nitpick - you _have_ a graphics accelerator.  What you really
> > want
> > is a 3D graphics engine.  Be sure to keep the distinction seperate;
> > lots of embedded processors have 2D accelerators, fewer have 3D
> > capabilities.
>

> I actually didn't necessarily mean 3D. Just something that's fast
> enough for full-screen panning/zooming/rotating/compositing operations
> would do nicely. But perhaps that only comes in 3D variants nowadays ...
>
> - Bert -

Jim Gettys <jg at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child