XO-2 software plans

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at gmail.com
Fri May 23 07:01:41 EDT 2008

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 10:07 AM, Alex Belits
<abelits at phobos.illtel.denver.co.us> wrote:
> John Gilmore wrote:
>
>> It'll be hard for OLPC to get multi-touch working when for the last 15
>> months they haven't had the bandwidth to figure out whether the
>> current touchpad can do "tap to click" (ticket #959).  But developers
>> and users of devices built between now and then will write most of the
>> software needed.  The free software ecosystem will save the day again.
>
> That's assuming that non-OLPC developers will have access to hardware
> before it will be declared ready for deployment. Otherwise it will be
> like G1G1 -- first batch to outside developers coincides with first mass
> deployment, then everyone complains that deployment happened before
> development.

It will be slightly more difficult to write (multi-touch) software for
the XO-2 in an emulator or on a regular PC... I wonder if there are
(or will be) any third party multi-touch input devices readily
available for a similar effect. Multi stylus wacom tablets?