olpc fedora build source code

Paul Fox pgf at foxharp.boston.ma.us
Tue May 20 14:59:59 EDT 2008

michael wrote:
 > On Fri, May 02, 2008 at 01:38:41PM -0400, Bill Mccormick wrote:
 > > Hey folks,
 > >
 > > Sorry to bug you with another newbie question, but I'm now stuck.
 > > Where do I get the fedora src code?
 >
 > We keep archives of the code that goes into our builds, in the form of
 > SRPMs, in a git repository on mock.laptop.org [1]. (Many of these SRPMs
 > are pulled directly from Fedora's cvs repository; the others come from
 > the package dropbox system on dev.laptop.org [2]).
 >
 >   [1]: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Source_code
 >   [2]: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Build_system
 >
 > SRPMs can be unpacked by installing them with rpm or by extracting them
 > with the rpmdev-extract program from the rpmdevtools package on Fedora
 > systems.

michael -- some follow-on questions --

it's not clear (to me) from the Build_system page linked above
where the final contents of a give release is determined.  it's
clearly not just a concatenation of all of the dropboxes (or is
it?).  i.e., where's the final master list -- is that pilgrim?

also, how would one find the tree representing the source of an
arbitrary SRPM?  i suspect i can figure it out for the fedora
packages, but for the local packages, is there any sort of
backlink from the dropboxes to the development trees that they
come from?

(i've answered the specific question i had today, regarding
whether a certain fix was in the x11 evdev code, but unpacking
the SRPM seemed like more work than it should have been to find
something simple.)

 > If you find yourself in need of access to a Fedora machine for
 > development purposes, we can set you up with a shell account.

don't worry -- i'll let you know when the time comes.  :-)

paul

p.s. http://dev.laptop.org/~bert/joyride-pkgs.html and the "faster"
equivalent don't seem to be working.