[Fwd: Re: XP on OLPC - a contrarian view]

Jeffrey Kesselman jeffpk at gmail.com
Fri May 16 17:44:26 EDT 2008

SO, let me clarify my own POV... if anyone cares :)

XP on the OLPC does not bother me so much, for all the reasons
mentioned.  As long as it
DOES still run Linux/Sugar then its up to us to make that compelling.
I'm sure no third world country WANTS to spend another $7.00 a machine
if there is no compelling reason to do so.  Multiplied by volume,
thats a lot of money.

In addition to all of the above , I do see a comfort factor in the "it
can run windows" bullet point.  I mean we all mean well, but what if
the project fails and developers drift away?  There is a certain
comfort for buying it in knowing that there is a big rich company
behidn it.   Even if that comfort is mostly illusory. (Microsoft HAS
walked away from products in the past.  Anyone else own a first gen
WINCE device? I do.  Nice paperweight.)

What disturbs me a LOT more is Sugar  on  XP.  I firmly expect
Micrsoft to attempt to "embrace and extend" and pull control of Sugar
away from the community.  After which, it will die a quick death.

JK

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 5:19 PM, Robert Myers <rmyers7 at mindspring.com> wrote:
> I received Mr Bender's reply off list. I replied privately, as it came
> off list. I now see that Mr. Bender sent his reply to the list, so I'm
> forwarding my reply to him to the list too.
>
> Bob

~~ Microsoft help desk says: reply hazy, ask again later. ~~