[sugar] OLPC priorities for Sugar in the August release

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Thu May 15 10:58:05 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 8:41 PM, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de> wrote:
> Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
>  > On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 6:26 PM, Greg Smith (gregmsmi)
>  > <gregmsmi at cisco.com> wrote:
>  >>  Thinking about the "hot corners" pop-up frame thingy, Nepal asked that
>  >>  be deprecated and I agree based on my personal experience and that of my
>  >>  kids. The only thing I have heard people use it for is the copy and
>  >>  paste functionality. Waveplace lead mentioned that and its used in the
>  >>  Uruguay training presentation linked above.
>  >
>  > Simon is working on making this an option. We would still need to
>  > decide about the default obviously...
>  >
>  > Marco
>
>  These sugar rpms include a control panel option to set a delay for the frame
>  activation and an option to toggle the top of the screen to activate the frame.

I'm not in agreement with allowing Frame activation from arbitrary
corners.  I think it's all or nothing, due to the use of each edge for
independent items, and the position of notifications in each corner.
If someone doesn't want it available in all corners, they should use
the key instead.

On the other hand, if you meant "top of the screen" to mean the top
/edge/ (a la "warm edges"), I would move to make this again a global
option (on all edges), with a separate delay adjustment.  Warm edges
would be off by default, while hot corners, I still think, could be on
by default with a reasonable delay, at least until we get further
testing feedback regarding the effectiveness of that solution.

- Eben