very simple datastore reimplementation

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Tue May 13 20:23:22 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 11:15 +1200, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 1:18 AM, Jim Gettys <jg at laptop.org> wrote:
> >  The reason for FUSE (specifically via the new Gnome replacement for the
> >  old, unloved, GnomeVFS) is to enable better interoperability with
> >  non-Sugar applications (for example, when we are able to do versioning),
>
> And yet, at the exact point we start using FUSE we get in trouble with
> portability for Sugar apps.

Sugar apps have datastore dependencies in the first place, whether on
the current DS interface or a FUSE based one.  So it doesn't change the
situation there; apps talk to sugar, which talk to the DS, whether
implemented via olpcfs and Fuse or not.

> Can we shift the behaviour we want to put in the FUSE layer into a
> Sugar-level library that just uses POSIX underneath?

That's what olpcfs is doing: it exploits the POSIX interface as much as
possible, and if you read Scott's document (as I was today), you'll see
that....
                           - Jim

--
Jim Gettys <jg at laptop.org>