CIPA done

info at olpc-peru.info info at olpc-peru.info
Fri May 9 15:02:48 EDT 2008

Martin et al,

Not a lawyer... but I know law and I have studied the issue of law and
filtering of the public information and I gave consulting to many
congressmen that were the ones that establish the peruvian laws about
what children can see and cannot see (I will not get in the debate about
what they can see and what they cannot see... but, for the record: my
first priority is to fight against VIOLENCE in the public media: all
forms of violence, in the sports, in the comic programs, in the news, in
the songs (rap this one!), in the movies.  Only adults should be able to
see a violent movie.  But this is beyond the point of "filtering").

Peru has signed and ratified the "Protocolo Opcional a la Convención
sobre Derechos del Niño, sobre la Venta de Niños, Prostitución Infantil
y Pornografía Infantil".  That was done in years 2000 and 2001 (check
data at the bottom of this message).

The specific peruvian laws are the law 28119 (December 2003) and its
modifications issue on law 29139 (December 2007)

Internet is like life: more dangerous if you walk in the wild side.  If
you are an adult that is fine.  If you are a minor then the
responsability is of your parents, teachers or person in charge.
Furthermore we have many laws about the responsability of the ones that
administer the public media: the TV signals, the radio signals, all the
wireless signals, and the use of public property: air, soil, money and
other resources.

With this in mind, I can inform that in Peru this is the law:
a) If you set up an Internet Cafe, or you are responsible teacher or
director or principal in a school, you must PROVIDE a method for
"protecting" the children from what can be seen as "innapropiate"
information (porno is the most known... but if you apology about
terrorism in front of children, or you speak in favor of racism... then
you are in deep waters).  The law applies too for the public
institutions (like schools) that provide access to the Internet (article 1).

b) The filtering software MUST be installed on each computer (not in a
proxy or any other intermediary device).  Article 2 ("El cumplimiento de
esta obligacion se hace efectivo mediante la instalación, en todas las
computadoras, de programas o software especiales de filtro y bloqueo...")

b) There are huge penalties for those that don't provide the method
(filtering software).  The minimum is about 4 years in jail.

c) All the computers involved in this kind of infraction will be taken
from its owners and send to the judge and he will assign new use for
those equipments even BEFORE he finish the analysis of the whole issue,
develop the trial and give a final decision.

d) All the people (owners, administrators) that is involved on the issue
will get not only jail but economic penalties.

All the neccesary laws can be search in our legal official database, the
daily newspaper that comes with all the peruvian laws issue on the
previous day.  www.ElPeruano.com.pe  (then click on "search laws" and
you put the name of the law that you are searching, or code, or any
word.  The whole site is in spanish so your "101 Foreing language" will
be big help.

At the end of this message, some of the more specific laws and norms
that are in use.  They are in spanish too.

Best regards,

Javier Rodriguez
Lima, Peru

Procesando...
MUNICIPALIDAD PROVINCIAL DEL CALLAO
ORDENANZA
000004
Modifican Ordenanza que establece prohiciones y sanciones al acceso a
páginas pornográficas por menores de edad o al público en general a
páginas web con contenido de pornografía infantil
16/02/2006
MUNICIPALIDAD METROPOLITANA DE LIMA
ORDENANZA
808
Regulan acceso de menores de edad a páginas web de contenido
pornográfico, pornografía infantil, violencia extrema y/o similares
19/08/2005
MUNICIPALIDAD DE CARMEN DE LA LEGUA
ORDENANZA
011-2004-MDCLR
Establecen prohibiciones y sanciones al acceso del público a páginas web
sobre pornografía infantil y de menores de edad a páginas web de
contenido pornográfico o que ofendan la moral y el pudor
25/04/2004
MUNICIPALIDAD DE LA PUNTA
ORDENANZA
011-2004-MDLP/ALC
Prohiben acceso a páginas web de contenido pornográfico u otras que
ofendan la moral y el pudor, a menores de edad y de pornografía infantil
al público en general
01/04/2004
RELACIONES EXTERIORES
DECRETO SUPREMO
078-2001-RE
Ratifican Protocolos de la Convención sobre los Derechos del Niño
relativos a la participación de niños en conflictos armados,venta de
niños,prostitución infantil y utilización de niños en pornografía
06/10/2001
RELACIONES EXTERIORES
RESOLUCION SUPREMA
489-2000-RE
Delegan facultades para suscribir el "Protocolo Opcional a la Convención
sobre Derechos del Niño, sobre la Venta de Niños, Prostitución Infantil
y Pornografía Infantil"
12/10/2000