[Production] Amharic input

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Thu May 8 04:31:54 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 7:03 PM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 22:54 +0200, Bernie Innocenti wrote:
>
> > Behdad is also on cc because
>  > I remember he was quite a guru of these things (let us
>  > know if you just want to be left in peace).
>
>  Thanks for adding.  I never mind.
>
>  Excuse my ignorance; I'm not familiar with Amharic requirements.  I
>  think the question comes down to whether the Amharic keyboard layout is
>  enough or whether an input method is needed.  If keyboard layout is
>  enough, then just removing the input method from GTK+ seems to do it.

The Ethiopian writing system is a syllabary with 345 characters, and
does not fit on a keyboard layout. There is a SCIM IME for Amharic,
and one called EZ+.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/SCIM#Ethiopic.2FAmharic

Numerous other methods of entering Amharic exist, using different
encodings and keyboard layouts, and non-Unicode fonts. Some of these
methods are used on Web sites, including e-mail, providing their own
methods for typing. A Latin alphabet keyboard such as standard US
QWERTY can be used for these.

What was the question?
>  --
>  behdad
>  http://behdad.org/
>
>  "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little
>   Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
>         -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/