An OLPC Development Model

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed May 7 21:41:51 EDT 2008

2008/5/7 Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com>:
> On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 4:11 PM, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at cscott.net> wrote:
>

> > On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 3:34 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>
> wrote:
> > >  > <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> >
> > >  Well, my trust in OLPC is being probed every other day. I take your
> > >  word, and I trust a few other people there, but I also have to
> > >  acknowledge that priorities at OLPC are changing.
> >

> It never hurts to be paranoid, but the educational priorities of our tool
> and software development are not changing.  There are priorities that have
> not been effectively set in that regard -- but your input there is part of
> any decisions that are made.  Perhaps we could use an open working group to
> review and set core activities that can guide the list of activities (and
> specific versions) that is proposed for each release.

Yes! Actually, we need an open working group on all OLPC policies. And
I don't only mean development policies.

It isn't only that the community has no input on many policies. It's
that there is no reasonable way to find out what they are, or if there
even is one on a point of interest and concern.

> What people spend time discussing and worrying about has changed, and this
> can distract from addressing issues such as what the best activty
> presentation is for children and clasrooms in different settings -- one
> reason that recent discussions on the education.project list have been great
> to see and take part in.

Also, for the first time I have gotten sustained editing activity on a
Wiki page I created. Thanks to all who looked and wrote more.
--
Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/